Roles and Responsibilities of the West Bengal State Council of Higher Education
The West Bengal State Council of Higher Education was formed to steer the higher education sphere in the state in the desired direction and goal of the government. The Council aspires to participate in the following activities:
Planning and Co-ordination
1. To prepare consolidated programmes in the higher education of the State, keeping in view the
guidelines issued by the Higher Education Department of the State and the University Grants
Commission (UGC) from time to time, and to assist in their implementation.
2. To co-operate and coordinate with the Higher Education Department and the UGC in respect
of determination and maintenance of standards of higher education and suggest remedies
3. To evolve perspective plans for development of higher education in the State.
4. To forward the developmental initiatives designed by the Higher Education Institutions
(HEIs) of the State to the UGC and to initiate continuous monitoring on the progress of such
5. To promote co-operation and co-ordination of the HEIs among themselves and explore the
scope for interaction with industry and other related establishments.
6. To formulate principles as per the guidelines of the Government and the UGC for starting new
HEIs and the norms to comply with. Keeping in mind the need, demand and suitability for
establishing a new college in a specific location and based on the necessary instructions from
the Govt., the Council is to conduct proper scrutiny and field inspection for the proposed college.
After such inspection, the Council would send the report to the Higher Education Department
for necessary action.
7. Regarding extension of affiliation of new subjects in the existing colleges at the UG and PG
levels, the Council would cause inspection to the colleges and send report to the affiliating
Universities for necessary action.
8. To suggest ways and means of augmenting additional resources as well as generating internal
resources for educational institutions in the State.
9. To work in liaison with the AICTE,BCI,NCTE,NAAC,NBA,ICAR and other national level apex
bodies or authorities in different areas of higher education.
10. To encourage girl students to go for higher studies and also to monitor enrolment of girl
students in colleges and universities.
11. To identify measures needed and also to initiate steps for encouraging students of the
families, faced with socially disadvantageous positions, to the institutions of higher education.
12. To maintain close vigil over functioning of colleges in known backward areas in the State
and to identify infrastructural and other deficiencies and accordingly to keep the Governing
Bodies of the concerned colleges, the affiliating University, and the Government informed of
1. To encourage and promote innovations in curricular development, restructuring of courses
and updating of syllabi in the Universities and the colleges.
2. To devise methods and steps for admission at the UG and PG levels in the colleges and
universities of the State.
3. To devise methods and steps to improve the standards of examinations conducted by the
Universities and suggest necessary reforms.
4. To facilitate training of Teachers in colleges and universities.
5. To develop programmes for greater academic cooperation and interaction between
University teachers and College teachers and to facilitate mobility of students and teachers
within and outside the State.
6. To encourage sports, games, physical education and cultural activities among students in the
universities and colleges.
7. To encourage extracurricular activities and promote interaction with agencies concerned
with regional planning and development of higher education.
8. To prepare an overview report on the working of the universities and the colleges in the State
and to furnish a copy of the report to the UGC and the Government.
1. In determining block maintenance grants and formulating strategies in respect to distribution
of such grants.
2. On setting up a State Research Board so as to link research work of educational institutions
with that of the research agencies and industry, keeping in view the overall research needs of
3. In framing policy on 'earning while learning' for the students.
4. Performing any other functions necessary for the furtherance of higher education in the State.
5. To advise the Universities in framing Statutes, Ordinances or regulations on the basis of the
respective University Act or amending the existing Statutes, Ordinances or Regulations, where
necessary, keeping in view the various norms and requirements to be fulfilled.